Position Description: Operations Manager
Friends of Deckers Creek (FODC), a nonprofit watershed group based in Morgantown, West Virginia, is seeking an energetic and self-motivated individual to become part of a transformational team.
FODC is searching for an Operations Manager to support the Executive Director, Education Coordinator, VISTAs, interns, volunteers, board members, and other devoted community leaders and Federal and State regulatory agencies and granting organizations. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting all aspects of the organization, including administration, grant preparation, environmental projects, accounts payable/receivable, fundraising activities, membership mailings, newsletter production, website content maintenance, and special events execution.
About Friends of Deckers Creek: The mission of the Friends of Deckers Creek (FODC) is to improve the natural qualities of, increase the public concern for, and promote the enjoyment of the Deckers Creek Watershed. FODC formed in 1995 and obtained 501(c)(3) status in 2000. Since then, the group has brought millions of dollars into the communities surrounding Deckers Creek by transforming the watershed through remediation, water quality monitoring, environmental education, and advocacy efforts. Visit deckerscreek.org for more information.
- Administration: Manage the day-to-day operations, programs, activities, and administrative aspects of the organization directly and through assignments of task to staff and/or contractors.
- Coordinate staff meetings.
- Oversee record keeping and office organization.
- Oversee financial and budgetary processes to provide consistent quality financial administration, including understanding key financial controls and performing duties as defined within the FODC Financial Procedures.
- Direct board correspondence, recruitment, and engagement.
- Fundraising: Oversee organizational fundraising, including grant writing, proposal development, individual donor fundraising, major gift development, event planning, and planned giving.
- Outreach: Work collaboratively with board, staff, and partners to identify, prioritize, and assist in the implementation of education and outreach programs.
- Content Management: Oversee written and visual content for membership mailings, newsletters, websites and social media posts. Ensure effective communication to the FODC community about on-going projects, and events through various media.
- Grants Management: Communicate and coordinate with agency personnel supporting projects, including interim and final programmatic and accounting reports to funders, and presenting at public outreach meetings on occasion.
- Assure accurate and timely reporting to granting and funding agencies.
- Project Management Aid: Provide assistance to staff and board in projects from various facets of the organization, including education, remediation, and other programs.
- Other Duties:
- Supervising volunteers and staff, including AmeriCorps VISTA(s) and intern(s).
- Maintaining the highest professional standards.
- Other duties and responsibilities as they arise.
The Friends of Deckers Creek Operations Manager is expected to invest the time needed to accomplish our mission. A flexible schedule, including local travel and some evening and weekend work, is required.
The Operations Manager is supervised by FODC’s Executive Director.
- An Associate’s Degree or higher in Office Management, Business Administration, or another related field.
- Three (3) years of related professional experience, including financial management, operations oversight, and professional writing and editing.
- A demonstrated high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Applications is required, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, Google Docs, and Google Sheets is required.
- Basic proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and/or Premiere a plus.
- Must have a willingness and ability to learn database management and website content management systems.
- A demonstrated high degree of proficiency and accuracy with data entry is required.
- Prior experience working with Salesforce, website content management, organizational social media content management, and/or Quickbooks highly desirable.
- Demonstrated progressively advancing responsibilities within professional experience is a plus.
- Experience in a nonprofit, environmental, or fundraising setting highly desirable.
- Must have an independent initiative, a strong ability to multi-task, as well as the ability to pursue long-term, complex tasks.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Prior experience with proposal development and grant writing is highly desirable.
- Willingness to take on diverse tasks in a small organization required.
- Prior experience in a supervisory role is desirable.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to lift up to 45 pounds is required.
Preferred Deadline: August 24th, 2018
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Preference given to all applications received before August 24th, 2018.
Compensation: Commensurate with education and experience
Term: Contingent on further grant funding, the position is being offered as full-time, temporary, with the potential for a permanent position in the future.
Please send a resume, cover letter, a 1-3 page writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager Application” in the subject line. For additional information on the position and the organization, visit deckerscreek.org.
View the PDF of the Position Description: Announcement_FODC Operations Manager_2018