Friends of Deckers Creek AmeriCorps VISTA
Position Description: AmeriCorps Economic Opportunity and Environmental Education VISTA
Friends of Deckers Creek, a nonprofit watershed group in Morgantown, West Virginia, is seeking an energetic and self-motivated individual that can develop, plan, and execute environmental education and community outreach programming, assist with scientific monitoring, and engage in field work.
The FODC VISTA will have the opportunity to engage in a year of service while gaining a breadth of experience in project planning, grant writing, environmental education, scientific monitoring, water remediation, event organization, and nonprofit management. This could be a great first step for someone looking to break into the nonprofit or environmental sector!
Application Deadline: May 25th, 2022
Term Length: July 2022 – July 2023
- Take the lead role in FODC's community outreach efforts
- Maintain existing and build new partnerships and programs with schools and other local education organizations
- Perform grant research and grant writing
- Help organize fundraising events and expand community outreach efforts
- Aid in volunteer coordination and administrative support
- Help create outreach materials, e-newsletters, web content, newsletters, and State of the Creek Reports
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Teaching or tutoring experience
- Experience monitoring water quality, fish, and macroinvertebrates
- Grant writing, event coordination, and fundraising experience
- Document and web design experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or ArcGIS
- Enthusiasm for public interest work and all things environmental!
Benefits of Service With FODC:
- $200 per month housing stipend
- 20 days PTO in addition to all Federal holidays
- Flexible full time work schedule
- Possibility of one remote work day per week
- Educational Award or Bonus at the conclusion of your year of service
- Healthcare, childcare, and food assistance
- Mileage reimbursement
- Pet friendly office
- Working in an interesting and exciting niche field!
About FODC: Friends of Deckers Creek (FODC), a non-profit organization based out of Morgantown, West Virginia, works to improve the Deckers Creek watershed through direct remediation, environmental education and community outreach. FODC formed in 1995 as an informal grassroots group of individuals who saw Deckers Creek as a beautiful, but neglected resource. FODC aims to turn Deckers Creek from a liability into an asset and source of pride for the community. Learn more at deckerscreek.org.
About AmeriCorps VISTA Positions: A Volunteer In Service To America (VISTA) member is a year-long, full-time position through AmeriCorps and the Office of Surface Mining and Reclamation with a focus on capacity building for nonprofit organizations.
To Apply: Send your resume to info@DeckersCreek.org. Cover letters not required but strongly recommended. Any questions can be directed to FODC staff by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at (304) 292-3970 and we'll be happy to talk with you about the position.