Join Our Team
Interested in becoming an active member of the FODC team?
Ocassionally, openings on our team become available, including board member positions, design opportunities, and administrative personnel. These positions, when available, will be posted on this page. For more inquiries on these positions or when they'll be available, contact us at email@example.com.
Environmental Education VISTA Position
Friends of Deckers Creek is seeking an energetic and self-motivated individual that can expand their environmental education program. The FODC VISTA will have the opportunity to serve while gaining a breadth of experience in 1) project planning, 2) grant writing, 3) environmental education, 4) scientific monitoring, 5) water remediation, 6) event organization, and 7) nonprofit management.
Application Deadline: February 13th, 2017
Term Length: May 2017 – May 2018
- Take the lead role as education coordinator for FODC’s youth projects in the community
- Maintain existing and build new partnerships and programs with schools, area youth-groups, and other local education organizations
- Perform grant research and grant writing
- Help organize fundraising events and expand community outreach efforts
- Aid in volunteer coordination and administrative support
- Help create outreach materials, e-newsletters, web content, newsletters, and State of the Creek Reports
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes:
- Self-motivated individual who is apt at multitasking
- Must have an interest in environmental protection and K-12 education
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong leadership ability, written and verbal communication skills, and experience in public speaking
- Bachelor’s degree - can be graduating in May 2017
Not required, but a plus:
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and ArcGIS
- Teaching or tutoring experience
- Knowledge of ecological principles and experience monitoring water quality, fish, and macroinvertebrates
- Grant writing, event coordination, and fundraising experience
- Document design and web design experience
About FODC: Friends of Deckers Creek (FODC), a non-profit organization based out of Morgantown, West Virginia, works to improve the Deckers Creek watershed through direct remediation, environmental education and community outreach. FODC formed in 1995 as an informal grassroots group of individuals who saw Deckers Creek as a beautiful, but neglected resource. FODC aims to turn Deckers Creek from a liability into an asset and source of pride for the community. Learn more at deckerscreek.org.
About AmeriCorps VISTA Positions: A Volunteer In Service To America (VISTA) member is a year-long, full-time position through AmeriCorps and the Office of Surface Mining and Reclamation to build capacity for nonprofits.
For more information on the position, contact Holly Purpura at 304-292-3970 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.